Evocative historical residence
The Castagnoni is an evocative historical residence dating back to the mid-18th century, it is an indissoluble part of a family history. Born as a place dedicated to the sheltering of young orphan girls by a religious order, it then became a manor and finally a constantly evolving accommodation facility. The current state of the mansion results from the tireless work of restoration carried out with exemplary dedication by the descendants of the Poggio family; their approach is one of respect for their past and vision for a future in which their children will continue to grow in a healthy context, in Monferrato, inhabiting the Castagnoni.
It should not be forgotten that, in this love story for a land and a place, part of the Castagnoni is still home to a family whose members travel, live, experience elsewhere, and then come back to writing new chapters of a seemingly endless story. The ongoing restoration of the 18th century chapel of Our Lady of the Annunciation, outside the central body, is part of this story.
It is thus that every cornerstone or brick of the structure, every tree in the garden or fresco on the inner ceilings, the furniture, paintings, books in the library, they all evoke a memory or narrate an anecdote: from of D’annunzio’s admiration for horses to Count Cavour’s silent walks in the garden. The elements of modernity too, from applied technology to the most advanced services that the structure offers, are respectful of the context.
Those who come here to spend a few relaxing days inevitably and naturally end up becoming passionate for and feeling somehow part of all this and its spirit.
Monferrato, Valle Ghenza, places and colours dear to Angelo Morbelli (1853-1912), extraordinary painter and leader of the Divisionist movement who established his summer residence in Rosignano Monferrato. Starting from the artist’s studio, which can be visited at Villa Maria, and walking through the streets of Frazione Colma it is possible to admire the reproductions of works made on these same landscapes, which have remained practically unchanged over time. A permanent and exciting path for lovers of art and the pure beauty offered by nature.
Are you sure the neighbour's grass is always greener?
Without being pretentious, the Castagnoni’s Italianate garden is one of those that enrapture at a first glance: box hedges, flower beds, secular hedges, and lemons, pear trees, a magnificent rose garden, tall pine, ancient magnolias, beeches, a pergola with kiwis and vines, the putti fountain with papyrus, water lilies and goldfish. As for the putti, it is said that at the time of the nuns’ management these were covered for modesty. To appreciate the garden in its surprising geometry, just climb the severed turret of the Castagnoni, whence from an unforgettable panorama can be admired.